The role of TAs in supporting inclusive PE and sport
Traditionally, PE and sport have been all about competition, and honing athletic skills, often leaving pupils with SEN sitting on the sidelines, or relegated to the library during outdoor lessons. PE staff need to be aware of their responsibilities in providing quality experiences for pupils with difficulties or disabilities.
SENCOs can help by considering the deployment of TAs to some PE lessons − possibly a good way in to making the department more inclusive. If you can go further and dedicate a teaching assistant to PE or dance and sport, even better.
This TA might be someone with a natural interest in physical activities, willing to undergo some training, and perhaps be involved in after-school coaching and matches etc. Such a person may be able to take some responsibility for bookings, fixtures and travel, becoming a valuable member of the faculty team.
TAs can take many steps before, during and after PE lessons to facilitate pupil participation:
- clarifying and explaining instructions, rules, tasks (this is easier to do if the TA has prior knowledge of what will be involved in the lesson)
- overseeing the setting up of equipment
- reading, or helping pupils to read written information
- monitoring behaviour and keeping pupils on task
- encouraging and praising pupils
- differentiating tasks and materials
- keeping teachers informed of a child's strengths, difficulties and limitations
- suggesting ways of improving access to PE for individual pupils
- monitoring (small steps of) progress.
Because PE is all about activity, the physical environment is very important. Encourage staff to consider how the gym, swimming pool, athletics track, dance studio, games field and changing rooms can be made more 'user-friendly' for pupils with physical or sensory needs.
Some considerations might include:
- wheelchair access to playing fields (use mats at doorways to minimise the amount of mess made by wheels)
- appropriate lighting in the gym/hall/studio (with the facility to screen out bright sunshine which may create blind spots for pupils)
- how to reduce the confusion caused by multiple markings on the floor for pupils with cognitive difficulties or colour blindness
- access to the swimming pool
- having netball and basketball boards with adjustable heights and widths
- a range of equipment, including different types of balls
- signage to help children find their way between changing rooms, the gym and sports field
- identifying an area where a small group could work with a TA separately from the main class for part of a lesson
- ensuring that changing rooms have pegs at different heights and an area where a TA could discreetly help out with changing
- an accessible toilet with handrail
- a school regulation sports kit which has the flexibility to meet the needs of pupils with disabilities.
We are currently supporting schools in Leicester and Leicestershire that require this support, please get in touch for more information.
T 0116 2776400
At Career Teachers we are fully compliant with Agency Worker Regulations, ensuring you receive equal treatment for pay and conditions after a 12 week qualifying period. Please ask for further details.
All quoted rates are inclusive of 12.07% holiday pay.
Important Notice: In order for you to be successful in applying for the above position you should be eligible to work in the UK, or hold a relevant work visa. Safeguarding, quality and integrity are at the heart of what we do. During the application process you are required to:
- Attend an interview in person;
- Give details for us to complete Reference checks;
- Provide an Enhanced DBS disclosure
We are committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people within education. We have a policy, as a matter of courtesy, to respond to all applications within three working days. However, because of the volume of applications, we are sometimes unable to reply to individual enquiries. If we have not contacted you within this specified time your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion, we encourage you to please apply for any other position that you may see in the future. Thank you. Career Teachers is a Recruitment Business and is advertising this vacancy on behalf of one of its Clients.
your application has been submitted