SEPTEMBER 2018 START, FULL TIME, 5 DAYS PER WEEKStudent Support Worker Job DescriptionThe position would suit a graduate looking to gain experience of working in...
SEPTEMBER 2018 START, FULL TIME, 5 DAYS PER WEEK
Student Support Worker - Job Description
The position would suit a graduate looking to gain experience of working in schools. The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate a commitment to working with young people, from all backgrounds and abilities. This is a support role, where the SSW needs to be able to work effectively with different teachers in a range of classes.
The role will mainly involve work at Key Stage 4 GCSE-level, but some Key Stage 3 work is possible. Subject expertise will be taken into account in order to create the candidate's timetable. SSWs are line managed by the SSW coordinator and the Assistant Principal i/c Pupil Premium.
Duties to include:
- To support classes in English and / or Mathematics and / or Science and / or Humanities and / or Languages, working with specific students in order to improve their progress.
- To work with small groups and / or individual students on specific tasks, as directed by the class teacher.
- To support students with SEND and/or Social Inclusion needs.
- To facilitate the differentiation of tasks for students.
- To support specific students with catch-up and intervention sessions, under the supervision of senior staff and middle management.
- To support specific students with guided revision and homework, under the supervision of senior staff and middle management.
- To support senior staff at lunch time to provide a calm and orderly environment, in the refectory and around the school grounds.
- To participate in school trips, accompanying students and staff off-site for educational visits, sometimes involving early start times or late returns.
- To ensure the school's health and safety guidelines are adhered to.
- To support all school policies including equal opportunities, bullying, behavior for learning etc.
This person specification is a picture of the skills, knowledge and experience needed to carry out the job of Student Support Worker. It will be used in shortlisting and in the selection process for this job.
Reliability, flexibility and a positive attitude, in addition to the ability to work as part of a team and with individual subject teachers and young people are of paramount importance.
- Degree level qualification
- Experience and/or an awareness of the issues relating to young people with barriers to their learning.
- A high level of literacy and numeracy in order to support students 11-19 years of age.
- Ability to communicate with and relate appropriately with young people.
- Ability to communicate with teachers in the classroom.
- A commitment to work towards your personal development.
- Ability to maintain effective student support lesson records and evaluate the impact work undertaken.
- Ability to liaise with school staff, families/carers and external agencies both face to face and by telephone.
- Willingness to be aware of the Code of Practice and accompanying legislation and regulations.
- A good knowledge of IT and a willingness to improve skills.
- Experience working in a school environment.
- Understanding of the current educational landscape.
Career Teachers is fully compliant with Agency Worker Regulations, ensuring you receive equal treatment for pay and conditions after a 12 week qualifying period. Please ask for further details.
Important Notice: In order to apply for the above position all applicants must be eligible to work in the UK, or eligible to apply for a relevant work visa. Safeguarding, quality and professionalism is at the heart of what we do. Applicants are required to attend a face to face interview, reference checks and an enhanced DBS disclosure. Career Teachers is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children and young people within education. It is Career Teachers policy, as a matter of courtesy, to respond to all applications within three working days. However, because of the volume of applications, we are sometimes unable to respond to individual candidates. If we have not contacted you within three working days your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion, please apply for any other position that you may see in the future. Thank you. Career Teachers is a Recruitment Business and is advertising this vacancy on behalf of one of its Clients.