Overseas Teachers in London

What you need to know about living and teaching in the UK


Do I need a visa to work in the UK?

Chances are, unless you hold a current British/EU passport, you will need a visa to work in the UK. To find out what visa you are eligible to qualify for please use the resources on WWW.GOV.UK website to learn more.

Who can apply for a working holiday visa?

If you are a citizen of Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, Republic of Korea or Taiwan and are between 18-30 years old, you may be eligible to apply for the Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme visa.

How long does the visa application process take?

The visa application process can be a lengthy process and end up quite costly too. To ensure you leave yourself enough time to apply and obtain your visa, we recommend that you start looking into this process as soon as you begin making travel plans. We recommend leaving yourself a reasonable amount of time to allow for unforeseen delays in processing. Three months from when you intend to arrive in the UK is usually a big enough time frame. However, please be mindful that there will be costs associated with these applications and it is best to look into this before beginning the process, to allow yourself to save up some money if you need to.

Click here for more information on how long it will take to process your visa.

Will I need an overseas police check?

If you have lived outside of the UK you will need a Police check from any country which you have spent more than 6 months in, in the past 5 years. Click here for information on how to apply for these checks.

How do I apply for my National Insurance number (NINO)?

To apply for your National Insurance number, you must be in the UK and call 0800 141 2075. After you have applied you will receive a letter from Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) asking you to come to a National Insurance number interview. This letter will also include the documents you are required to bring to interview.

How do I apply for Qualified Teacher Status in the UK (QTS)?

Teachers who trained in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the European Economic Area (EEA), Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States of America (USA) can apply for their QTS by completing an online application form, this can be done here. If you’re not sure if you’re eligible, please contact qts.enquiries@education.gov.uk.

Housing- where to start my accommodation search?

London is a vibrant, culturally diverse and fantastic city that will amaze and excite you! When looking into where to live and accommodation options, it can be overwhelming for those new to the city. For an ‘Area Guide’ to the many boroughs of London and for more information on the ‘Accommodation’ and housing options available, please click here.

Using an ‘Umbrella company’ or getting paid through ‘PAYE’- What's the difference?

To put it simply, if you chose to be paid through an Umbrella company, in most cases, you will be able to be paid at a higher daily rate. Meaning, the ‘Umbrella Company’ will cover things like employer tax and public insurances, leaving less overheads for us to cover so that we can offer you a greater rate of pay. To make the choice even easier, Umbrella companies will often offer their employees specialised ‘perks’ such as CPD courses, travel deals and retail discounts worldwide. For more information please visit Generate's website, which is one of the Umbrella companies we use.

How useful did you find this article?
Thank you for your feedback!